Beaufort-Jasper Water & Sewer Authority’s (BJWSA) Purrysburg Water Treatment Plant received the prestigious Presidents Award from the Partnership for Safe Water. In 2017, the Purrysburg Water Treatment Plant is celebrating both the Presidents Award and the 10-year Directors Award. Purrysburg is the third water treatment plant in South Carolina to receive the Presidents Award.
The Partnership is a drinking water optimization program sponsored by American Water Works Association (AWWA), the U. S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and other water organizations, to recognize water suppliers that continuously provide drinking water quality that surpasses regulatory requirements through treatment plant and distribution system optimization. The Partnership’s Presidents Award for Water Treatment recognizes plants that meet the program’s highly stringent optimization goals for individual filter effluent turbidity.
The Association of Metropolitan Water Agencies (AMWA) honored Beaufort-Jasper Water and Sewer Authority (BJWSA) with its “Sustainability Award” October 20 at its 2014 Executive Management Conference in Newport Beach, CA. The award recognizes water utilities that have made a commitment to management that achieves a balance of innovative and successful efforts in areas of economic, social and environmental endeavors. It represents AMWA’s highest honor. Nationwide, only nine utilities received the award.
Platinum Award for Competitiveness Achievement
as one of nine public utilities recognized nationwide for efficiency, cost of operations, and quality of service.
Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting 2004 – 2014
For publishing an easily readable and efficiently organized comprehensive annual financial report that satisfies both generally accepted accounting principles and applicable legal requirements.
Facility Excellence Award
for excellence in operations, maintenance, capital improvements, rehabilitation and replacement planning and fiscal strength.
- Cherry Point Wastewater Treatment Plant 2006 – 2015
- Hardeeville Wastewater Treatment Plant 2006 – 2015
- Laurel Bay Wastewater Treatment Plant 2008 – 2015
- MCAS Wastewater Treatment Plant 2008-2013
- Palmetto Bluff Wastewater Treatment Plant 2006 – 2015
- Palm Key Wastewater Treatment Plant 2007 – 2015
- Parris Island Wastewater Treatment Plant 2008 – 2014
- Point South Wastewater Treatment Plant 2006 – 2015
- Port Royal Water Reclamation Facility 2006 – 2015
- St. Helena Wastewater Treatment Plant 2006 – 2015
for optimizing water treatment beyond what is required by regulations, specifically particle removal and disinfection.
- Chelsea Water Treatment Plant 2003 – 2015
- Purrysburg Water Treatment Plant 2005 – 2015
is a DHEC evaluation of the entire water system, including treatment plants, wells, tank sites, booster pump stations and distribution system operation.
- Chelsea Water Treatment Plant – No deficiencies 2004 – 2014
- Purrysburg Water Treatment Plant – No deficiencies 2005 – 2014
National Association of Clean Water Agencies
Peak Performance Award for the outstanding compliance with National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permit limits throughout the year.
- Cherry Point Wastewater Treatment Plant
Gold 2005, 2008-2010, 2012, 2014; Silver 2006-2007, 2011, 2013
- Hardeeville Wastewater Treatment Plant
Gold 2009-2010, 2012-2014; Silver 2006 – 2008, 2011
- LB Wastewater Treatment Plant
Gold 2008, 2010-2012; Silver 2009, 2013, 2014
- MCAS Wastewater Treatment Plant
Gold 2008, 2009; Silver 2010
- Parris Island Wastewater Treatment Plant
- Port Royal Water Reclamation Facility
Gold 2009, 2011,2012-2013; Silver 2006 -2008,2012, 2014
National Environment Achievement Award was given to BJWSA for our series of innovative, easy to understand videos that describe our treatment processes and our Great Swamp restoration project.
10 Year Director’s Award 2014 for commitment to producing superior water quality .
- Chelsea Water Treatment Plant 2003 – 2013, 2016
- Purrysburg Water Treatment Plant 2005 – 2014, 2016
Wendell R. LaDue Utility Safety Award
for having the most distinguished safety program among utilities throughout the nation.
Herman F. Wiedeman Award in March of 2014 to Joe Devito, Field Operations Director. The award is presented annually to a member who has been actively engaged in the water supply profession and has contributed substantially toward achievement and science of the water supply industry.
Golden Manhole Award in March of 2012 awarded to Joe Devito, Field Operations Director. The Golden Manhole Award is an award to recognize individuals who are significant contributors to the advancement of the Design, Education, Training, Certification, Construction, Operations, Maintenance and Management of Wastewater Collection Systems.
Maintenance Technician of the Year 2014 – Joe Moran
Commendation of Excellence
for the excellence of our safety program
Certificate of Safety Achievement
for outstanding efforts in the promotion of industrial safety and health. As of June 30, 2008, BJWSA had no preventable lost time accidents in 1,989 calendar days, with 1,307,469 safe work hours.